Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ryan's Funeral & Some Amazing Signs from Heaven


Ryan Maseth's funeral was yesterday and it was an honorable service befitting our hero. Many soldiers, along with his brothers and cousins read and spoke of Ryan and his many feats as a hero both in family life as well as military life. It broke my heart to see the tears of everyone in Ryan's family, but especially those of his mother, father and grandmother and aunts & cousins. At the end of the service we all journeyed into the parking lot amongst the many Patriot Guard Riders holding billowing flags. There were several reporters waiting to talk to some as they exited the church. There were so many cars, as the church was full. The procession of cars left the parking lot and was greeted at every intersection we came to by a police car and an officer keeping all traffic from disrupting our procession. Major highways were blocked and officers that were veterans even saluted as we passed them in the middle of the road. It was a very moving sight.


As I mentioned in a previous blog, my brother and son also are in heaven. As we traveled in the funeral procession, my Mom and StepDad in one car and my sister and her hubby and myself in another, my Mom got an amazing sign from my brother. She looked at the car in front of her to read a license plate that had my brother's birthday in it's perfect 4 digit entirety... 9270. We were astounded that she ended up right behind that particular car as there were at least a hundred cars in this procession. What a sign from Tommy!


We arrived at the cemetery and walked to the site where soldiers were waiting with the family to say their final goodbyes. With the bagpipes playing their sad farewell and soldiers aiming guns into the air, we said our final goodbyes to Ryan. Soldiers in perfect form, folded flags over the casket to give to Cheryl and Doug. As the family clutched red roses, and the wind whipped all around us, silent tears fell everywhere you looked. On the way to the cemetery I had been trying to reach a local DJ to ask if she would play a song in honor of Ryan, but we were never able to get through on the phone line. When we returned to our cars, a familiar song was playing on the radio. "Knocking on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan gently played on the radio and I thought to myself what a perfect song. I couldn't have picked it better myself. My sister then excitedly pointed to the vehicle in front of us and to my astonishment there was one of those white sport stickers with my baby son's name - Tanner (my angel in heaven)! That is not a very common name, so it was incredible for us to get a sign from Tanner as well as Tommy! For me it was a sign that Tommy & Tanner had welcomed Ryan into heaven. Those were 2 incredible signs just minutes apart! As difficult as it was to say good-bye to Ryan, we know that he is now with our Lord. We also know that one day we will see him again. We take comfort in that fact and want to live a life that is honorable, believing in our Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, that we will be resurrected with Him and Ryan and all of the believers.


For the rest of us life goes on...and I shall return to posting about my artistic creations and cards and such. But I will not forget that this family's pain will still endure long into the coming months and years ahead. I also make this promise, that we will be here when you need us. We are a family who knows the pain of your loss and we intend to walk this journey of grief with all of you. Our shoulders are ready to help you carry this burden as you embark on the path of grief. We will not forget you, nor will we ever forget SSgt. Ryan Maseth. A Hero - Forever in Our Hearts.

No comments: